About Belinda Williams

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Your Avatar Should be the Only Fake Thing About you

I recently created an avatar to use when texting on my mobile phone.  It was interesting to create an electronic image of myself based on my view of me.  I made decisions ranging from body shape, jaw structure and lip size.  It was actually more difficult than I anticipated.  I had to decide if I wanted a true reflection of myself or something that just came a bit close.  As I made more and more decisions, I was amused by the experience and decided I wanted my avatar to be a hybrid of the real me and a different version of me.  I made choice after choice.   If I didn't like a particular feature, I simply went back and chose a different look.  I decided the image I would project through this avatar and didn't care if it was based in reality or not. 

It seems that many of us are living this way now, but not through an avatar, but in real life.  Many are making decisions in an attempt to create a desired look or image to the world. From Botox to butt implants, people are having things nipped, tucked, stretched and clipped.  Even with clothing, we rarely see true individuality in the selections of most people.  Acceptability seems to have replaced authenticity, no matter how raunchy, risqué or revealing.  When a musician expresses individuality through their attire, they usually look like a living avatar on hallucinogenic drugs.  Instead of appearing genuine, it seems they just want to make headlines or sell product. 

Even in the faith, we have allowed things to impact our authenticity.   It seems that we are more concerned about fitting in with the "church" culture than impacting world culture.  I have watched new Christians slowly transform into the blueprint model member of the ministry with which they are affiliated.  The leaders tend to adapt themselves around the training they have received and the modeling of their mentors.  This results in preachers who sound the same, shout the same and even lay hands the same way.  Christ-likeness is lost to culture, tradition conformity.

Psalms 139:14(NKJV)
14    I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;     Marvelous are Your works,     And that my soul knows very well.

Each one of us is handcrafted by God.  We are uniquely designed to serve Him and bring glory to His name.  It is in the authenticity of our creation we release the greatest expression of His heart.   The genuine love of God never fails.  An avatar is fake.  You are real.  I urge you to really be YOU - authentically YOU.


No comments:

Post a Comment