About Belinda Williams

Friday, January 22, 2016

Peek a Boo

Have you ever played peek-a-boo with a child?  It is a game of hide and seek, but in plain sight.  It's a very simple game, but one little kids typically enjoy playing.  Many believers seem to play the same game with God.  They duck their heads as if God can't see them hiding.  Just because we can't see Him, doesn't mean His eyes are not on us.  We fool ourselves with our limited vision.  I think sometimes we feel like if we stay away from church, God loses sight of us and our behavior.  The out of sight out of mind thinking.  Though the Lord no longer presents Himself in flesh and blood human form, He is very much present with us.  He is with you everywhere you go.  Beloved, He sees you.

24 Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So I shall not see him?” says the Lord;     “Do I not fill heaven and earth?” says the Lord. Jeremiah 23:24(NKJV)

One of the names of God is "El Roi" meaning the God who sees.  The only reference to this particular name of God is in Genesis 16.  Hagar, a maidservant to Sarai, was given to Sarai's husband Abram as a wife.  After becoming pregnant with Abram's child, she was kicked out of the camp because she no longer viewed Sarai with respect. Hagar ran off from the only authority she knew in her life, but was confronted by the ultimate authority in God.  After an encounter with the presence of the Lord, she promptly called Him - El Roi, the God who Sees. 

God sees all.  He sees the good, the bad, the ugly, the beautiful.  He saw Hagar's obedience as she was given to Sarai's husband at Sarai's request; and he saw Hagar's heart as she despised her patron.  He saw it all.  Instead of just berating her for running off, El Roi let her know that He saw her and then gave her direction, hope and the plan for the son she had yet to birth.

Like Hagar, you may be running from God.  You may have gotten hurt in church or disappointed because of struggles in life.  It may be because you don't like the expectations found in the Word of God or you simply don't believe God likes you.  Maybe you don't think you matter to God.  Let me assure you, you matter.  El Roi sees you, loves you and knows you.  You can run all you want, but He is right there with you.  I think Psalm 139:7-12 sums it up best:

7Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there;  If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. 9If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall £fall on me,”  Even the night shall be light about me; 12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You. Psalms 139:7-12(NKJV)

You may say Peek a Boo, but God says, "I see YOU!"

No comments:

Post a Comment